AFAIK Stromphone is a reality and there are a couple of staff members (maybe the developers?) currently using a beta version.
I share your empathy on not knowing anything else, but has you will soon realize, the CS community tends to keep things to them selves right to the moment here there is no "bug" or problem.
I've been a member for 1 year now, and they haven't let me down yet.
Stay tuned I'm sure someone will pop-up with news soon.
Concerning Chamelephon, I've checked their website and frankly I'm not sure I would by one of this.
- This is a unknown company with less them an year in the "Google Play Store"
- The phone itself is very low end and too expensive
- All the apps that they say are there to protect your privacy, are free of charge in the Google Play Store
- Chamelephon OS is a striped version of Android where they have removed their ties with the Google Play Store, there are already ROM's out there with that.
- GPS disabled in kernel is actually a cool feature